dr Andrzej Stanislaw Rybak – Macroalgae Ecology and Taxonomy Research Group Leader
|Position: assistant professor|
Phone: 61 829 57 63
Office hours: Tuesday 10.00 – 12.00
AMU Research Portal
I’m a spatial hydro-ecologist with a strong interest in the ecology of freshwater macroalgae. I work as an Assistant Professor at the Department of Hydrobiology at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan (Poland). My major research interests are autecology, biogeography and the role of abiotic factors in the success of freshwater macroalgae expansion in half natural and anthropogenic system of Europe. My research work is connected with ecology of filamentous macroalgae in freshwater ecosystems, environmental biomonitoring and bioindicators used for river ecosystems. Moreover, I work with cultivation of macroalgae and taxonomy of Chlorophyta of stagnant and running waters.
Current study topics
- Future directions of bioindicators used for river ecosystems
- Biology and ecology of Hydrodictyon genus
- The concept of "nutrient traps”
- The use of macroalgae as biosorbents
- Effective methods of algal biomass utilization
- 2021 - 2022
Internal grant of the Faculty of Geographical and Geological Sciences of the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań "Applicative use of microalgae immobilized in alginate balls for the bioremediation of heavy metals and cyanides from waters" Principal investigator: Dr Marcin Siepak, Co-investigators: Dr Andrzej S. Rybak, and Dr hab. Andrzej M. Woyda-Płoszczyca (Department of Bioenergetics, Faculty of Biology, AMU)
- 2009 – 2012
Project of National Science Center of Poland (No. N304013437): The genetic and habitat revision of Ulva species in Poland (main performer)
- 2009 – 2011
Project of National Science Center of Poland (No. N303391136): The impact of fossil waters and bird droppings on the cyanobacterial blooms in the Goreckie Lake (Wielkopolski National Park) (main performer)
- 2010 – 2011
Project of the President of Konin City: Valorisation and revitalization of the Konin lakes for regional development (Gosławskie, Patnowskie, Lichenskie, Wasowskie, Mikorzynskie, and Slesinskie lakes) (main performer)
- 2011 – 2012
Project of the Head of Faculty of Biology at AMU, (No. GDWB-07/2011): Bioaccumulation potential of freshwater taxa of Ulva (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) (project manager and main performer)
- Rybak A. 2021. Microencapsulation with the usage of sodium alginate: A promising method for preserving stonewort (Characeae, Charophyta) oospores to support laboratory and field experiments. Algal Research 54: 102236.
- Woyda-Ploszczyca A.M., Rybak A. 2021. How can the commercial potential of microalgae from the Dunaliella genus be improved? The importance of nucleotide metabolism with a focus on nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK). Algal Research 60: 102474.
- Rybak A. 2021. Freshwater macroalgae, Ulva pilifera (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) as an indicator of the trophic state of waters for small water bodies. Ecological Indicators 121: 106951.
- Rybak A., Woyda-Ploszczyca A.M. 2019. Ecology and distribution patterns of Chara connivens (Charophyta, Characeae) on the Canary Islands – the first record from Fuerteventura. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 48: 368-380.
- Rybak A. 2018. Species of Ulva (Ulvophyceae, Chlorophyta) as indicators of salinity. Ecological Indicators 85: 253-261.
- Rybak A. 2018. The Ulva flexuosa complex (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta): an updated identification key with special reference to the freshwater and hyperhaline taxa. Phytotaxa 345: 83-103.
- Rybak A., Gąbka M. 2018. The influence of abiotic factors on the bloom-forming alga Ulva flexuosa (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta): possibilities for the control of the green tides in freshwater ecosystems. Journal of Applied Phycology 30: 1405-1416.
- Rybak A. 2016.Freshwater population of Ulva flexuosa (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) as a food source for great pond snail: Lymnaea stagnalis (Mollusca, Lymnaeidae). Phycological Research 64: 207-211.
- Rybak A. 2016. Ecological preferences of freshwater Ulva flexuosa (Ulvales; Ulvophyceae): development of macroalgal mats in a Tulce fishpond (Wielkopolska Region, Poland). Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 45: 100-111.
- Rybak A. 2015. Differentiation of inland Ulva flexuosa Wulfen (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) from Western Poland. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 44: 393-409.
- Rybak A. 2015. Revision of herbarium specimens of freshwater Enteromorpha-like Ulva (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) collected from Central Europe during the years 1849–1959. Phytotaxa 218: 1-29.
- Rybak A., Czerwoniec A., Gąbka M., Messyasz B. 2014. Ulva flexuosa (Ulvaceae, Chlorophyta) inhabiting inland aquatic ecosystems: molecular, morphological and ecological discrimination of subspecies. European Journal of Phycology 49: 471-485.
- Rybak A., Messyasz B., Łęska B. 2014. The accumulation of metal (Co, Cr, Cu, Mn and Zn) in freshwater Ulva (Chlorophyta) and its habitat. Ecotoxicology 22: 558-573.
- Kobos, Błaszczyk A., Hohlfeld N., Toruńska A., Krakowiak A., Hebel A., Sutryk K., Grabowska M., Toporowska M., Kokociński M., Messyasz B., Rybak A., Napiórkowska-Krzebietke A., Nawrocka L., Pełechata A., Budzyńska A., Zagajewski P., Mazur-Marzec H. 2013. Cyanobacteria and cyanotoxins in Polish freshwater bodies. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 42: 358–378.
- Rybak A., Messyasz B., Łęska B. 2012. Bioaccumulation of alkaline soil metals (Ca, Mg) and heavy metals (Cd, Ni, Pb) patterns expressed by freshwater species ofUlva (Wielkopolska, Poland). International Review of Hydrobiology 97: 542-555.
- Rybak A., Messyasz B., Łęska B. 2012. Freshwater Ulva (Chlorophyta) as a bioaccumulator of selected heavy metals (Cd, Ni and Pb) and alkaline earth metals (Ca and Mg). Chemosphere 89: 1064-1074.
- Messyasz B., Rybak A. 2011. Abiotic factors affecting the development of Ulva sp. (Ulvophyceae; Chlorophyta) in freshwater ecosystems. Aquatic Ecology 45: 75–87.
- Messyasz B., Rybak A. 2011. The distribution of green algae species from the Enteromorpha genera [syn. Ulva; Chlorophyta] in Polish inland waters. Oceanological and Hydrobiological Studies 38: 121-138.
- 2014 – to date
Assistant Professor in Department of Hydrobiology at AMU
- 2009 – 2014
Ph. D Student in Department of Hydrobiology at AMU
- 2008 – 2013
Scientific-technical worker in Department of Hydrobiology at AMU
- 2007 – 2009
MA studies in Faculty of Biology, Environmental Protection, Hydrobiology and Water Protection
- 2005 – 2007
MA studies in Faculty of Biology, Biology, Ecology and Environmental Management
- 2002 – 2005
BA studies in Faculty of Biology, Biology, Ecology and Environmental Management
- 1998 – 2002
High School No. 17 in Poznan
- 1990 – 1998
Elementary School No. 59 in Poznan
Lectures (and classes/seminars)
- Biology of organisms and aquatic environments
- Biology and ecology of indicators
- Inventory and valorisation of environment
- Environmental Monitoring
- Protection of natural heritage
- Structure and dynamics of population and community
- Flora and fauna of the Wielkopolska Region
- Classes in schools under the patronage of the AMU
Lectures (and classes/seminars)
The Guardian for students of Environmental Protection at the Faculty of Biology, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan